It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – The sound at the end of the show

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – The sound at the end of the show

[updated April 6th, 2015 – now up to Season 10]

In 2009 I broke my ankle and my future husband Adam introduced me to the television show “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” It was very helpful to my healing process – laughter is the best narcotic.

The show is freaking hysterical. I cant think of any episode that hasn’t had us cracking up, and me saying “Oh my god I cant believe they just did that.” Several times we have rewound (not sure the proper term with a DVD) scenes to play them again and again.

Im curious how many other gals like the show. Some of the humor is twisted and childish, but I seriously think they do an amazing job writing the show. It’s very low budget, at least in the beginning it was – but the stories and characters are so well done.

Sometimes I’m reminded of Seinfeld and how uncomfortable I was when George Costanza would do something stupid. These characters do something every show, and are sometimes such a$$holes, that it’s okay somehow. I don’t feel as uncomfortable. Except Charlie. We love him. He’s like a puppy dog or something, you can’t get too mad because he doesn’t know what he is doing. Karate…Snow mobile…chop set? OMG.

The story of how the show came to be (as seen on the DVD) – is really inspiring. They just went for it – submitting the pilot to different stations – and then became a hit tv show on FX.

What is the sound at the end of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

So, low budget and all, at the end of the show, after the credits roll, an image of three main characters is shown along with a sound clip that plays backwards. Pretty simple for them to do, but it had me intrigued…

RCH

The desire to know the deeper meaning behind the sound intensified as I realized they changed it from one season to another. As we started Season 4, I really wanted to know. I searched the Interwebs looking for the real message but could not find anything.

So, I fired up Audacity to play with the clips.

For those of you who always wished you could tell what they were saying – here you go:
(I haven’t posted my interpretation on what they are saying, in case you wanted to try and figure it out for yourself)

Season 1 – As heard at end of episode

Season 1 – In Reverse

Season 2 – As heard at end of episode

Season 2 – In Reverse

Season 3 – As heard at end of episode

Season 3 – In Reverse

Season 4 – As heard at end of episode

Season 4 – In Reverse

Season 5 – As heard at end of episode

Season 5 – In Reverse

Update: November 7th, 2010
Thanks for all of the fun feedback – I did this to satisfy my own curiosity and glad it can help others!
Finally the Xmas Special and Season 6!
I missed out on the Xmas special as the stores had already sent it back! I kept looking everywhere, even London but they had NO IASIP!!!
(How can they not see the comedic genius???)
Sorry for the delay, I just got a Mac, and figured out I could get them from  iTunes! So worth the money!!! Enjoy!

Xmas Special As heard at end of episode

Xmas SpecialIn Reverse

Season 6 – As heard at end of episode

Season 6 – In Reverse

Update: October 15th, 2011

SEASON 7 !!! Would have been faster had I read my own post and remembered iTunes!

Season 7 – In Reverse

Update: November 14th, 2012

SEASON 8 !!! It’s been too long for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

Season 8 – In Reverse

Update: October 20th, 2013

SEASON 9 – sound as originally played on Its always sunny…

SEASON 9 – In Reverse

Season 10 –

as originally played

Season 10 –

after reversing it

106 thoughts on “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – The sound at the end of the show

1. sam

I was also introduced to this show while I was healing… unfortunately, I was healing from abdominal surgery and I thought I was going to burst a stitch every time I watched… I couldn’t stop laughing. I love the show. LOVE LOVE LOVE. It is very easily my favorite show.

2. Candi

Thanks for posting these sound clips. I am a huge fan of this show, and like you, once I knew they changed this from season to season, it drove me crazy and had to know what they were saying. You solved it for me!

3. Eric

Thanks for helping out with these clips and taking the time to post them up. I love the show and have always wondered what they’ve said at the end of each episode. Thanks again!

4. Corey

I too love love love this show! I came across this because I was searching for the sound at the end of season four so I could make it a ring tone. I just think it sounds so cool. Do you have an mp3 of it you could send to me? Please let me know, I can’t figure out how to capture it just from playing it here. Thanks!!

5. Snarf Snarf

Thanks for reversing the clips…it is pretty funny stuff and cool to figure out what is going on with the weird sounds.

6. Judy Post author

Thanks for the comment Pallywhacker – those two were missed in the transfer to a new server. Filezilla can be so cruel. They are there now.

7. Kelly

Absolutely awesome — I was hoping someone would have the answers on this. But the fact that you went and did it yourself and posted the audio — you’re a bigger fanatic than ‘Green Man’.

8. michael

excellent. just…. absolutely excellent. will you please get “an always sunny xmas” (just came out today) and post what they say at the end of THAT? cos it’s different…

9. michael

from what i can tell, at the end of “an always sunny xmas”, what they are saying is something to the effect of “sorry for wasting your time and money, but thanks for your money”… judy, we need you to confirm….

10. Judy Post author

Kay – I really have no idea! I tried a Google search but have not found any answers yet. Let me know if you find out!

11. leigh

awww! did that first one bum you out a little? hahaha i have always wondered what they were saying too – great post!!

12. Plo

I just found this, thanks it has been bugging the hell out of me! I’m sure yall have figured this out by now but they say “Sorry for wasting your time and money, but thanks for your money” at the end of IASIP Xmas…. Thanks again Judy

1. Judy Post author

Im so envious! I havent seen the Xmas episode yet – I tried to buy it but it was sent back after the holidays.

13. Erik

Judy, like everyone else, I’d like to thank you for posting the sound-bites. You said, “The story of how the show came to be (as seen on the DVD) – is really inspiring”. Do you remember which disc that appeared on (I’ll need to order it again from Netflix)?

1. Judy Post author

No idea… :) the fact they are syaing “make it brown” would be odd. Like, make it bad? Hmmm…

1. James

Judy: I think all of the references to “brown” are them trying to find the “brown note” which is a mythical urban legend that states playing the “brown note” makes one spontaneously poop their pants.

14. Ryan

I saw Glen on Letterman once and they played one of these backwards, and it was the jews control hollywood, the jews control hollywood. Was that just a joke for that episode of Letterman or do they change it in some peisodes of a season?

15. rachel&ryan

Thank you soooo much for posting these clips! we love the show and we never knew what they were saying at the end!!

16. VR

Season 6 has this too so if you could post those and reverse them, that would be super awesome!

That being said, I was fairly sure they were telling me to go on a Satanic destructive path across town so I’m disappointed to have to use my jail internet time to find out that’s not the case. :-(

17. Janelle

Thanks for this, I’ve been dying to know what they’re saying! By the way, is there some way you can post the clips to download, perhaps? Thanks!

18. Caleb Dirks

The XMAS Special states “Sorry for wasting your time and money, but thanks for your money?” The audio on that one is hilarious! Season 6 says something about “Brown, now in HD.”

19. P-Nelly

Really appreciate the leg work here – was going to record it an play it backwards, but… well… just too lazy. When I searched in Google, I only had to get as far as “What are they saying at the….” and It’s Always Sunny was forth on the list – Speaks to the shows growing popularity, no doubt. Thanks again.

20. Some guy who like Sunny

See “brown town” is sodomy, they use the word brown in different contexts just for comedic humor. “Brown Clown” has no meaning except for a clown made of poo or something. Since you all have seen the show, you understand the comedy, it is mostly sensless, random comedy, which is why it is GENIOUS!!!!!

21. Nate

…I love that you posted this, especially with the interactive before / after sound bites. Sunny is genius and easily one of my favorite shows. – Glad you were introduced!

-Keep up the good work :)

22. Cody

Omg. This was cool to come across. I been watching since season 2 nd gotta say its the best nd only thing on tv. Thanks judi

23. The Brown Cow

Season One is definately the best saying! Just like P-Nelly google had figured it out within the first few words, kinda crazy how ofter google’s autofill is correct.

24. Johnson Wadas

okay so I spent the last 20 mins looking for the same template you’re using and cannot find it. Didn’t want to have to ask but really would like to use it for my blog, could you let me know? I’ll look back here soon for any replies. Thanks

25. Dee Fan

Thanks for the intel. I immersed myself into this show for a research paper I completed for a family and kinship class. I just got Season 5 on DVD and spent Christmas Day watching it. Can’t get enough of these guys!

26. Polar Bear Green Man

Judy,
    It was great jumping in the Mon River with you New Years Day 2011 and you’re wedding day. Congratulations to the both of you. I have never seen more than 3 minutes of this show honestly. But after wearing the Green Man for a few months now at various events, I realize I need to start watching this show.

Congratulations to you and Adam…

Green Man…

27. JFred99

Could there be some clues in the Season 6 Halloween episode? In that episode they seem to coin the term “brown out”. I feel like it might be a word they use amongst themselves to describe the best examples of their brand of humor.

28. tuesday

Judy,

I really appreciate your posting these clips.
    The backwards messages were making me crazy.
    Thanks!!

29. Robingayle

I am the biggest Sunny fan ever!!! Charlie is easiest my favorite character. Thanks so much for solving this mystery. I’ve often wondered what they were saying during their production page.